29. April 2020
by Bob Chermin
There has been speculation in the media that Amazon is looking to launch a full store offering in the Netherlands in 2020. With good size players already present in the market, such a change would cause some interesting dynamics to evolve.
Some thoughts for retailers and suppliers:
We would expect that Retailers and Suppliers would see some price pressure in the market - Amazon prices in Germany are typically below those in the Dutch market
Retailers should aim to differentiate by supporting the whole consumer buying decision with localized content - to win vs Amazon, you need to play a different game
- Utilize their local knowledge in the first months to capture the top seller positions - every new launch requires recalibration of the A9 algorithm, creating a new opportunity to capture that top spot
- Only compete with products on the platform where they can differentiate versus their own suppliers - marketplace on Amazon allows the global supply base to become competitors
We watch these developments with interest. Let the games begin...
The views reflected in this article are the views of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of the global EY organization or its member firms.
Amazon wants to turn its Dutch website into a fully functional web shop in 2020. Until now, only e-books have been for sale on that Amazon.nl; for other products, Dutch customers are referred to Amazon.de.
- The future looks blended: What will it take to win in the online continuous learning space?
- Cloudy skies - anticipated structural changes in global air freight dynamics
- Greasing the wheels of the labour market: how COVID-19 accelerates both the need for labour mobility and the novel solutions that address it
- A full fridge: COVID-19 and cold storage
- The return to Customer Acquisition Costs
- No room for complacency yet...
- EY-Parthenon Retail Performance Ranking 2019 - Dutch Retailer Review
- Let the games begin...
- Thirst for growth
- From discount- to service-driven loyalty
- Catwalk meets mountain trail
- Is the supermarket getting old?
- “Pausing fashion”: a COVID-19 catwalk prisoner’s dilemma
- Future of Mobility
- Keeping it Cool